Nerio Alessandri was born in Cesena on April 8th, 1961. After education as an industrial designer, in 1983, at just 22 years of age, he founded Technogym, today’s world leading company offering products and services for Wellness and rehabilitation. The first pieces of gym equipment, designed and built in his own garage, are the result of his enthusiasm for sports, his skills as a designer and his passion for design. In the early 90’s, Alessandri defined the Wellness concept, a lifestyle, which is aimed at improving a better quality of life thanks to regular physical activity, a healthy diet and a positive mental attitude. A profoundly Italian concept whose roots are to be found in the ancient Roman saying “mens sana in corpore sano” and, which very soon asserts itself on the market as the evolution of the American fitness concept.
Today, Technogym is the world leader in the fitness and wellness solutions sector and has equipped 65,000 wellness centers and over 100,000 homes around the world. It is estimated that Technogym products are used by approximately 35 million people every day. The company employs about 2,200 people in 14 branches across Europe, the Unites States, Asia, the Middle East, Australia and South America and exports 90% of what is manufactured to over 100 countries.
In the presence of Giorgio Napolitano and Bill Clinton, the company recently celebrated the opening of the Technogym Village, the company’s new headquarters, which is home to the center for research and innovation, the manufacturing plant and a large wellness center dedicated to physical activity, interior design and the wellness culture. The complex, which occupies an area of 150,000 square meters (of which 60,000 are covered), was designed by Antonio Citterio Patricia Viel & Partners. It represents the world’s first example of a Wellness Campus created to enable staff, clients, suppliers and guests from around the world to enjoy an authentic Wellness experience.
The project is an integral part of the “Romagna-Wellness Valley” initiative, promoted by the Wellness Foundation, which was created in 2003 by Nerio Alessandri with the goal to create Europe’s first wellness district in Romagna, a living laboratory, which will enhance the quality of people’s lives and leverage wellness as an opportunity for economic development for the Romagna territory.
Technogym has been chosen as Official Supplier of the Olympic Games for 5 times: Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, Turin 2006, Beijing 2008 and London 2012. Recently, Technogym was selected as official and exclusive supplier to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. In addition to the commitment to the Olympic world, the most prestigious sports clubs in the world cooperate with Technogym for the athletic training of their champions such as: Milan, Inter, Juventus, Real Madrid and Chelsea in soccer, Ferrari in Formula 1 and Luna Rossa in sailing, just to name a few. Technogym is the Official Global Partner of the 2015 Milan EXPO.
In 2014, Technogym, in line with its approach to corporate social responsibility, launched the international campaign entitled “Let’s Move for a Better World”. This campaign is aimed at promoting physical activity for everyone across the world, leveraging the company’s technology thanks to an innovative mechanism that makes “donating” one’s physical activity in a gym toward a good cause possible. Causes that benefit from the campaign include wellness education and teaching about health in schools. The more you train, the more you can donate and contribute to the cause.
Nerio Alessandri’s professional milestones:
- In 2001 the President of the Italian Republic named Alessandri “Cavaliere del Lavoro” (Knight of the Order of Merit for Labor), making him the youngest-ever holder of this title in the history of the Republic.
- In November 2003 he received the national award as “Entrepreneur of the Year 2003,” following which he represented Italy at the “World Entrepreneur of the Year” contest.
- At the start of 2003 he became a shareholder of Enervit, a leader in the sports nutrition sector.
- In 2003 Nerio Alessandri established the Wellness Foundation, a non-profit entity supporting scientific research, health education and the promotion of a Wellness lifestyle. The Foundation conducts specific projects, both at national and international levels, in the field of health, education and research.
- In March 2004, he was named member of the Board of Directors of the Association of Italian Industrialists (Confindustria); this mandate was renewed in 2008 for the subsequent four years.
- In April 2004 he received an honorary degree (Laurea Honoris Causa) from the Faculty of Sport Sciences at the University of Urbino.
- In November 2004 the President of the Italian Republic awarded Alessandri with the 2004 Leonardo Award for Italian Quality.
- In April 2005 he received an honorary degree (Laurea ad Honorem) from the Faculty of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Bologna.
- In 2006 he acquired shares in Starpool, a company specializing in the design and construction of saunas and spas.
- In November 2007 the United States Chamber of Commerce named Nerio Alessandri Entrepreneur of the Year in the economics category.
- In 2009 he was appointed Vice President of the Leonardo Committee, an entity that sustains and promotes Italian products throughout the world.
- In September 2009 Nerio Alessandri was named “World Heart Champion” by the World Heart Federation, the cardiology association connected with the World Health Organization, for his commitment to promoting Wellness and a healthy lifestyle.
- In January 2010 Nerio Alessandri was a guest at the World Economic Forum in Davos, where he promoted the "Workplace Wellness" conference, demonstrating how Wellness acts as a strategic tool for competitiveness in business.
- In May 2010 he received the Guido Carli Award in the category for “Corporate Social Responsibility”.
- In 2010 he received an official mention in the ADI Design Index for the Technogym Design Center.
- In 2011 the “Play Wellness” project was integrated into the “Let’s Move for a Better World” program by Michelle Obama.
- In 2013 he was awarded the Golden Star for merit in the field of sports, an award presented by the Italian National Olympic Committee, in recognition of the constant commitment shown in promoting an innovative and international business culture, in spreading Wellness as a way of life and by virtue of the values he has successfully transmitted in his involvement with the world of top-level sports.
- In February 2014 he received an Honorary Master’s Degree (Master Honoris Causa) in Business Administration from the CUOA Foundation (University Center of Business Administration) to reward his dedication to Italian business internationalization: “well-done-in-Italy”).
- In 2014 Compasso d’Oro Honorable Mention for the design of the ARKE product range.
- In 2016 Technogym debuts on the Milan Stock Exchange.
- In 2016 he is awarded the “Compasso d’Oro” for the OMNIA prodct.
Publications: in line with the company’s and his own personal mission, Nerio Alessandri advocates the Wellness culture also through dedicated publications:
- In 2001 the book “Wellness. Scegli di vivere bene” (Wellness. Choose to live Well) was published. It is an authentic manifesto of the Wellness philosophy.
- In 2007 he contributed to "Wellness – the History and Culture of Living Well" (Sperling & Kupfer), a book that traces the history of Wellness and examines its thematic aspects across 12 original essays written by preeminent Italian academics.
- In 2007 “A successful Life Begins with Wellness” was published in China. The book, in which Nerio Alessandri and Chinese representatives from the world of culture, business, sports and the performing arts tell of their experience and success thanks to Wellness, is an interpretation of wellness in oriental culture.
- In 2014 the book “Nati per Muoverci” (Born to Move) was published, the story of Technogym from a garage to the Wellness Economy.