Objections to functional workout
The risks of functional workout
- The functional workout method: because of the programming that does not always reflect the intrinsic characteristics of the lesson.
- The tools used: they require good technical skills that are often lacking, and this increases the risk of injury.
Workout with equipment
In this article we will explain the potential of this type of workout, making known what the reality of workout with equipment is now, starting from general concepts to analyze specifically the various products on the market.
Workout with equipment: why train?
1. Train newbies safely
This does not mean that work should not be carried out on the technique of free weight exercises but that, while working on the specific technique, probably using light loads, not great enough to stimulate adaptation in the person, you can still achieve effective workout stimuli safely.
2. It is more effective for muscular hypertrophy
3. Greater precision in movements
A study shows that during a squat using the multipower, by changing the stance of the feet, the distance of the feet from the bar, the inclination of the back, etc. it is possible to train a specific muscle. In this way, it is possible to strengthen the deficient muscles while still doing multi-joint work safely. In free body squatting, the number of variations is not possible because moving out of the correct technique of execution increases the risk of injury.
4.Also useful in the field of rehabilitation/rehabilitation
It must be said, however, that often we do not know the real potential of the products available, which are used in a simple and limited way. A very interesting study shows the possibility of "off-axis" work. That is, how much positioning oneself in a novel way on an equipment can lead to results that are difficult to achieve by workout with free weights.
Equipment today: what Technogym has to offer
- Eccentric work: After a short test, the equipment will provide resistance during the concentric contraction that will increase, as needed customized, during the eccentric contraction. It will, therefore, be possible to stimulate hypertrophy in a safe way and without the use of a spotter that helps in the exercise or in loading unloading the barbell.
- Isoinertial work: established the watts with which to train these will be maintained for the entire ROM.
- Viscous work: It will be possible to reproduce the same feeling of the movement against specific resistances such as water, oil, etc.
- Work with spotters. Once the load has been selected, when it is no longer possible to perform the movement at a steady speed, the motor of the equipment will decrease the external load, keeping the same internal load for all the repetitions.
- J Appl Biomech. 2010 Feb;26(1):73-86. Biomechanics of off-center monoarticular exercises with lever selectorized equipment. Biscarini A.
- J Appl Biomech. 2013 Feb;29(1):85-97. Epub 2013 Jan 18. Joint torques and joint reaction forces during squatting with a forward or backward inclined Smith machine.
- Biscarini A1, Botti FM, Pettorossi VE.
- J Sports Sci. 2011 Mar;29(5):457-69. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2010.534859.
- Modelling the joint torques and loadings during squatting at the Smith machine. Biscarini A, Benvenuti P, Botti F, Mastrandrea F, Zanuso S.