Among these great cycling races, Nove Colli (Nine Hills) is among of the most fascinating ones, and every year it renews its charm. To run the Queen of the Gran Fondo, as it is known, cyclists and enthusiasts, who arrive in Romagna from all over Italy and Europe, must have trained hard to give their best on the 210 km Romagna’s roads that connect the nine hills: Rivoschio, Ciola, Barbotto, Tiffi, Perticara, Pugliano, Siepi and Gorolo.
The sprint in the Nove Colli
The Technogym Sprint, beginning on the 13th km from the start, consisted on a 2km straight line of asphalt where every rider was able to unleash his own pedals and reach top speed. The performance was favored by the morphology of the track, a 3kms long road that allowed to sprint to the finish line.
What is a sprint?
Here are the tips for feeding and working on an effective sprint
- Kick off your sprint with saturated energies
- Follow the right diet before the sprint
- What to eat in your pre-race breakfast
- Prepare in grids to sprint
In the sprint, you start with the saturated energies
Keeping right diet before the Gran Fondo
- Carbohydrates: consume 5-7 g carbohydrates per kilo of body weight per day, obviously to be divided into each meal and snack. Cyclists may also take less as they are already used to a low-carb diet.
- Protein: Keep a protein intake of no less than 0.3 g of protein per kilo of body weight in each meal.
- Pay attention to fibers: reduce the intake of vegetables, fruit, legumes and whole grains until you can eat without them
- Avoid fasting: eat snacks and avoid long hours of fasting
- Hydration: stay hydrated, considering that every gram of carbohydrate binds 3 g of water;
- Cocoa: To keep you trained in the days before the race, despite the reduction of miles, and to keep your muscles oxygenated, take dietary supplements for sportsmen based on cocoa polyphenols, such as Enervit Just Flow or Enervit Carbo Flow.
Breakfast before the race and sprint: here are our proposals
- 1-2 scoops of Enervit Carbo Flow with tepid water and a slice of toast or whole-wheat biscuits with jam
- 1-2 scoops of Enervit Carbo Flow with tepid water and a slice of toast with ham
- 1 scoop of Enervit Carbo Flow with lean white or soy yogurt, oatmeal, dried fruit or muesli
- Rice milk/soy/oat/almond with oat flakes and dehydrated fruit or muesli
- Rusks/toast bread with jam and dried fruit
You can add tea or coffee if you are already used to it. Furthermore, remember to stay hydrated with water and Enervit Isotonic Drink in diluted concentration until you start.