Emotions are an essential component of sport, particularly in combat sports where an effective attack on the opponent's body is one of the main actions.
The psychology in sport: ultramarathon runners
The studies that have investigated the reasons why ultra-runners are driven to practice this type of sport have almost exclusively shown that the most important motivating factor is the opportunity to achieve and overcome personal goals, often extreme.
Ultrarunning offers runners the opportunity to set themselves different goals, more or less extreme and difficult to achieve, explain the psychology of sport.
Some of the emerging sports such as trail running, jogging, cycling or triathlon have no clear boundaries between competitive and amateur practice, as is the case in more traditional sports.
Psychology in sport: boxing, fighting sports
According to psychology in sport, Team sports' athletes are more extrovert, with a higher abstract reasoning and a higher self-confidence.
Psychology in sport question: can mental fatigue affect perceptual-cognitive abilities?
- Abdullah, M. R., Musa, R. M., Maliki, A. B. H. M. B., Kosni, N. A., and Suppiah, P. K. (2016). Role of psychological factors on the performance of elite soccer players. Phys. Educ. Sport 16:170. doi: 10.7752/jpes.2016.01027
- Swann, C., Crust, L., Jackman, P., Vella, S. A., Allen, M. S., and Keegan, R. (2017). Psychological states underlying excellent performance in sport: toward an integrated model of flow and clutch states. J. Appl. Sport Psychol. 29, 375–401. doi: 10.1080/10413200.2016.1272650
- James, L. P., Haff, G. G., Kelly, V. G., and Beckman, E. M. (2016). Towards a determination of the physiological characteristics distinguishing successful mixed martial arts athletes: a systematic review of combat sport literature. Sports Med. 46, 1525–1551. doi: 10.1007/s40279-016- 0493-1
- Gee, C., Dougan, R., Marshall, J., and Dunn, L. (2007). Using a normative personality profile to predict success in the National Hockey League (NHL): a 15-year longitudinal study. J. Sport Exerc. Psychol. 29:S164.
- Schurr, K. T., Ashley, M. A., and Joy, K. L. (1977). A multivariate analysis of male athlete characteristics: sport type and success. Multiv. Exp. Clin. Res. 3, 53–68.
- Weinberg, R. S., and Gould, D. (2014). Foundations of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 6E. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Wollseiffen, P., Schneider, S., Martin, L. A., Kerherve, H. A., Klein, T., & Solomon, C (2016). The effect of 6 h of running on brain activity, mood, and cognitive performance. Experimental Brain Research, 234(7), 1829–1836.00221-016-4587-7.
- Rauch, T. M., Tharion, W. J., Strowman, S. R., & Shukitt, B. L. (1988). Psychological factors associated with performance in the ultramarathon. The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 28(3), 237–246.
- Tharion, W. J., Strowman, S. R., & Rauch, T. M. (1988). Profile and changes in moods of ultramarathoners. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 10(2), 229–235.
- Ogles, B. M., & Masters, K. S. (2000). Older vs. younger adult male marathon runners: Participative motives and training habits. Journal of Sport Behavior, 23(2), 130–143.
- Marks M, Bukowska K, Bieć P. Lęk Inteligencja emocjonalna zawodników kadry narodowej trenujących kickboxing. Rozprawy Naukowe AWF we Wrocławiu 2012; 37: 31‑37
- Harasymowicz J. Filozofia karate. Argumenty 1978; 50: 10
- Bali A. Psychologycal factors affecting sports per‑ Int J Phys Educ Sport Health 2015;1(6): 92‑95
- Danziger, S. et al. (2011). Extraneous factors in judicial decisions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 108, 6889-6892.
- Levav, J. et al. (2010). Order in product customization decisions: Evidence from field experiments. Journal of Political Economy, 118, 274-299.