Technogym has been promoting physical activity and its benefits through the Wellness concept for more than 30 years. In particular, in recent years the company has taken to the field against sedentary work and the resulting damage, with the global campaign Let's Move for a Better World.
It's a global problem
Causes and effects
- the increasing consumption of calorie foods, rich in fat
- the increase in inactivity mainly due to sedentary work, modes of transport and increasing urbanisation
Both overweight conditions carry a risk, whether low or high, and the effects on our health are numerous and important.
The main 5 effects of sedentariness
- Slowing down metabolism: a sitting hour causes a decrease in the main enzyme that turns bad cholesterol into good, this can lead to a higher risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- Muscle damage: by spending a long time inactive muscles can lose elasticity, firmness and mass.
- Bone weakening: if they don't work, they don't have the necessary stimuli to regenerate, in order not to lose strength and density they need to support the weight of our body. For this reason, a sedentary life increases the risk of suffering from osteoporosis.
- Incorrect posture: sitting for long periods of time, you run the risk of taking wrong postures that over time can cause back, shoulder and neck damage.
- Night apnea: these are closely linked to heart problems and water retention. Fluids that are held in during the day, circulate freely at night and can obstruct the airways.
Not least, sedentary behaviour hurts our minds too, increasing the risk of depression by up to 25%, especially if the time for which we remain idle has passed in front of the computer and the internet, but also being too much in front of the TV increases the risk (+13%). This is demonstrated by a large study on the British Medical Journal Sports Medicine and conducted by experts from Qingdau University in China on over 193 thousand people.
From individuals to society
It is estimated that for a population of ten million people, half of whom are insufficiently active, the cost of inactivity is €910 million per year. Globally, it is the 21st century epidemic, the public enemy no. 1 that the WHO (World Health Organisation) tries to eradicate with the new guidelines valid until 2020. The main recommendations of the Organization: at least 150 minutes per week of physical activity for adults and 60 minutes per day for children and young people.
Technogym's mission against the global obesity
Let's Move for a Better World is the result of Technogym's thirty-year commitment to promoting wellness around the world. The campaign represents an opportunity to create a more sustainable society, based on personal health, and the education of the younger generations is a fundamental starting point for the achievement of the common goal.
Wellness is a social opportunity for all: for governments that can reduce healthcare costs, for companies that can count on more creative and productive collaborators and for all citizens who can improve their health and daily lifestyle. Our hope is to continue to contribute to the spread of Wellness, because the more people that adopt a Wellness lifestyle, the better the world will be. This philosophy is the social mission on which we base our daily commitment. Wellness is the lifestyle that, through the combination of constant physical activity, healthy nutrition and a positive mental approach, allows the person to achieve his or her own balance.
Let's Move for a Better World
All operators interested in participating in this global awareness and charity campaign can register here from November 11th.