Types of accidents
- direct impact
- extended axial load on the arm
- forced arm abduction
- external rotational forces resulting from the well-placed ski pole during the fall.
In skiers, glenohumeral dislocations accounted for 5.5% of all injuries. Of the dislocation sites, the glenohumeral joint is the most frequent at 49.3%, followed by the elbow at 23.4% and the acromioclavicular joint at 17.9%.
Accident prevention in skiing and snowboarding
In patients admitted to intensive care, the average accident severity score was significantly lower for those wearing protection than for those without helmets.
Clothing to reduce the risk of accidents in the snow
- Kim S, Endres NK, Johnson RJ, Ettlinger CF, Shealy JE: Snowboarding injuries: Trends over time and comparisons with alpine skiing injuries. Am J Sports Med 2012;40(4):770-776.
- Owens BD, Nacca C, Harris AP, Feller RJ. Comprehensive Review of Skiing and Snowboarding Injuries. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2018;26(1): e1-e10.
- Levy AS, Smith RH: Neurologic injuries in skiers and snowboarders. Semin Neurol 2000;20(2):233-245.
- Haider AH, Saleem T, Bilaniuk JW, Barraco RD; Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma Injury Control/ViolencePrevention Committee: An evidence-basedreview: Efficacy of safety helmets in the reduction of head injuries in recreational skiers and snowboarders. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2012;73(5):1340-1347.
- Deibert MC, Aronsson DD, Johnson RJ, Ettlinger CF, Shealy JE: Skiing injuries in children, adolescents, and adults. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1998;80(1):25-32.
- Leach RE, Lower G: Ankle injuries in skiing. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1985;198: 127-133.
- Milan M, Jhajj S, Stewart C, Pyle L, Moulton S: Helmet use and injury severity among pediatric skiers and snowboarders in Colorado. J Pediatr Surg 2017;52(2): 349-353.
- Idzikowski JR, Janes PC, Abbott PJ: Upper extremity snowboarding injuries: Ten-year results from the Colorado snowboard injury survey. Am J Sports Med 2000;28(6): 825-832.
- Kocher MS, Sterett WI, Briggs KK, Zurakowski D, Steadman JR: Effect of functional bracing on subsequent knee injury in ACL-deficient professional skiers. J Knee Surg 2003;16(2):87-92.