The main injuries for golfers
The effects of golf on young golfers
Short review of golf literature
Patterns of movement
- Rapid extension of the knee that occurs at a flexed joint between 0° and 30°
- Remarkable internal tibial rotation
- At low flexion angles, the activity of the posterior muscles of the thigh is ineffective in the actively curbing anterior tibial displacement and thus contributes primarily to increased joint compression
- strong quadriceps activity contributing to a high joint load
In several surveys, the average age of injured golfers was very high, with a survey revealing that players between the ages of 60 and 65 were at the top of the list risk of injury to the lower limbs compared to other younger practitioners (Baker et al., 2017).
Golf and injuries related to arthroplasty
- McGrory BJ, Stuart MJ, Sim FH. Participation in sports after hip and knee arthroplasty: review of literature and survey of surgeon preferences. Mayo Clin Proc. 1995;70:342–8.
- Gosheger G, Liem D, Ludwig K, et al. Injuries and overuse syndromes in golf. Am J Sports Med. 2003;31:438–43.
- Borowski LA, Yard EE, Fields SK, et al. The epidemiology of US high school basketball injuries, 2005–2007. Am J Sports Med. 2008;36:2328–35.
- McCarroll JR, Gioe TJ. Professional golfers and the price they pay. Phys Sportsmed. 1982;10:64–70.
- Fradkin A, Cameron P, Gabbe B. Golf Injuries: common and potentially avoidable. J Sci Sport Med. 2005;8:163–70.
- Cabri J, Sousa JP, Kots M, et al. Golf-related injuries: a systematic review. Eur J Sport Sci. 2009;9:353–66.
- Batt ME. A survey of golf injuries in amateur golfers. Br J Sports Med. 1992;26:63–5.
- Baker M et al. Risk Factors for Knee Injury in Golf: A Systematic Review. Sports Med 2017 47:2621–2639.
- Twitty H. PGA Tour players have knee problems. 2009. Accessed 15 Jan 2016.
- Vandervoort AA, Lindsay DM, Lynn SK, et al. Golf is a physical activity for a lifetime. Int J Golf Sci. 2012;1:54–69.
- Mallon WJ, Liebelt RA, Mason JB. Total joint replacement and golf. Clin Sports Med. 1996;15:179–90.