In this article, we will be looking at five exercises to help you lose weight fast after holidays.
Average Weight Gain During Holidays
According to research, the average amount of weight gained during a holiday is only 1lb. Which really isn’t that much! Though obviously, the longer your holiday is, the more weight you are likely to gain.
It is important to find the average weight gained during a holiday as it puts this article into context. We are looking at losing 1-2lbs of excess weight that is gained on holiday. That is not a lot, which means our goal is quite straightforward.
How Long to Lose Holiday Weight Gain?
How long it takes to lose weight gained on holiday depends on numerous factors. How much weight you gained, what your previous weight was, how much time and effort you can dedicate to losing weight, as well as genetic factors that can complicate matters.
But it is still possible for us to give a rough estimate. Losing 1lb per week is commonly believed to be a safe amount. But weight loss is rarely linear. It can take a few weeks before you see any real results, and it can be affected in the short term by weight fluctuations.
You can expect to start seeing results within a couple of weeks, but as everyone is different this timeframe can vary.
Five Exercises to Lose Weight Fast After Holidays
In this section, we are going to highlight five exercises that can combat holiday weight gain. A resistance workout (using dumbbells or kettlebells) can burn as many as 400 calories per hour.
There are hundreds of exercises that can achieve this, but these happen to be five of our favourites.
1. Kettlebell Front Squat
The kettlebell front squat is an excellent exercise for burning fat. It can be performed with either one or two kettlebells, depending on your strength (and how many kettlebells you have access to). In this example we will demonstrate how to perform a double kettlebell front squat. Both kettlebells need to be the same weight.
- Execution: Stand upright with feet shoulder width apart and a kettlebell in each hand resting on the floor. Bend your knees, push your chest out and pull your shoulders back, then deadlift the kettlebells off the floor and rotate them as you stand upright. You should end up with your hands together in front of your chest, with a kettlebell resting on each shoulder. Your hands should grip the handles tightly. Squat down until your thighs are at least parallel with the ground. Ensure that your heels are rooted to the ground throughout. Pause, and then rise back up until you are upright again.
2. Battle Rope Ab Workout
If you have access to battle ropes, then you should absolutely try to incorporate them into your training. There are lots of different exercises you can do with battle ropes, and it is great to combine them all together. The exercise we have picked is an ab exercise because not only will it burn a lot of calories, but it will also strengthen your six pack muscles.
- Execution: Sit on a mat in the standard sit up position (knees bent, feet flat on the floor, torso and head at a 45 degree angle from the floor). Hold a rope handle in each hand and keep them close together. Start with the ropes in the middle, resting above your knees. Then you are going to bring the rope over to one side of your body, before immediately bringing them over to the other side. Keep doing this movement for as long as you can.
The constant movement has been shown to burn up to 112 calories in ten minutes. Particularly your abdominals and obliques.
3. Dumbbell Push Press
There are many dumbbell exercises for weight loss, but the push press is one of our favourites. It works both the upper and lower body.
- Execution: Start in an upright position with a dumbbell held in each hand (neutral grip) and resting on your shoulders. Bend your knees and then drive upwards, pushing the weights straight up in the air as you do so. Pause at the top, and then bring the weights back down to your shoulders. Bend your knees and repeat the movement.
4. Barbell Deadlift
The ultimate calorie burning exercise has to be the barbell deadlift! It is amazing. But you need to make sure that you are performing it correctly.
- Execution: Stand in front of a loaded barbell and walk forward. Your feet should be halfway under the bar, and shoulder width apart. Turn your toes out slightly. Push your shins forward until they are touching the barbell, then bend down and grab the barbell with hands that are just outside your knees.At this point your back will be in a terrible position for lifting, so push your chest out and bring your shoulder blades back. Take a deep breath, then raise the bar up off the floor while pushing your hips forward. Breathe out while doing so. Stop when your hips are touching the barbell. Pause, and then lower the barbell back to the floor by pushing your hips backwards and keeping your back straight. Let the barbell touch the floor, then reset and restart.
5 .Kettlebell Swings
The final exercise on our list is the kettlebell swing. This is a fantastic exercise for burning calories, and it can be performed anywhere. At home, in the gym, outside. Just make sure that you have enough space!
- Execution: Stand upright with feet shoulder width apart and toes pointed out ever so slightly. You want a heavy kettlebell resting between your legs. Bend down and grab the handle with both hands. Push your chest out and pull your shoulder blades backwards for a nice straight back, take a deep breath and then deadlift the kettlebell upwards. This is your starting position. Push your hips backwards and bring the kettlebell back with them, then push your hips forward explosively. This will begin the kettlebell swing. Use the momentum to swing the kettlebell forward until your arms are parallel with the ground. Then let the bell swing back. Push your hips backwards again, then drive them forward. The hip hinge movement creates the momentum for the kettlebell.
Exercise can really help, but exercise and diet is the best combination for successful weight loss. Give these exercises a go and you’ll soon be in better shape than you were before you went on holiday!