One of the records in Italian athletics that seems to be carved in stone is that of the shot put: both for indoor and outdoor, held by Alessandro Andrei. A weightlifter born in 1959. He achieved them in 1987, more than thirty years ago, in one of the athletic disciplines that require brute strength.
Alessandro Andrei has remained in the collective memory of Italians even more than for two records still unbeaten for an Olympic gold in Los Angeles 1984.
Alessandro Andrei's shot put records
Now the American Randy Barnes, who in 1990 managed to reach 23.12 metres, holds the world record. A legendary distance.
The boycott Olympics, those of Alessandro Andrei, without the Soviet Union - but with China, which had been missing since 1948 under the five circles - the Olympics of Carl Lewis who brings home four golds, in the 100, 200, long jump and relay 4x100.
The boycott Olympics, those of Alessandro Andrei, were without the Soviet Union - but with China.
To date, no one seems to be able to improve his records.
Strength training and power like Alessandro Andrei: the determining factors of performance in weightlifting
Alessandro Andrei, "the colossus of Scandicci", a 25 year old boy at the time, 1.91 meters high by 118 kg, a vague resemblance to Lou Reed
Weighing exercises are to be counted among those of a general nature, especially with reference to throwing specialties such as shot put.
- the movements of the various limbs (upper and lower)
The latter, when taken individually are very different from those of the weightlifting. These are multi-articular movements and on various axes and planes that tend to vary continuously during the execution of the gesture.
"Athletics is a vice for those who, like me, have no money". Alessandro Andrei
Knowing how to launch with force, working on force with strength training
Alessandro Andrei retired in 2004, at the age of 45. He lives in Florence and married Agnese Maffeis, a discus thrower.
- Bourdin, M. al., Throwing Performance is Associated with Muscular Power, International Journal of Sports & Medicine 31(7): 505-510, April 2010.
- Judge, L. & Bellar, D. & Judge, M., Efficacy of potentiation of performance through overweight implement throws on male and female high school weight throwers, The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research 24(7): 1804-1809, July 2010.
- Alessandro Andrei's profile on FIDAL Website
- Alessandro Andrei retirement on the Police website