Toning your body isn’t just about doing the right balance of exercises; it’s also about ensuring proper nutrition before, during, and after training sessions.
A process that requires consistent effort
Muscle toning and weight loss is a gradual process that requires consistent effort. It is important to perform both strength and aerobic exercises using the proper form and technique. If you have been sedentary for a significant part of your life without much exercise, and have heart problems or other health conditions, you should consult your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.
Tips for a toned body
- Nutrition is important. Since your muscles need fuel, toning programs are most effective when combined with a balanced diet. Before training it is recommended to eat something nutritious yet easily digestible, like fruit or a slice of toast with jam, for example. If your workout lasts for a few hours, you should have a snack during the session, like fruit or an energy bar. Once you've finished your workout, it is important to eat well to recover lost energy.
- Avoid drinking alcohol before and immediately after training. Alcohol slows down mechanisms that are important for athletic performance, uses resources that are needed for the body to function well in order to be digested.
- Wear proper shoes and clothing. Most minor accidents in the gym occur due to distraction or negligence; if you're running on the treadmill or near other mechanical equipment, always make sure you have tied your shoes properly, and avoid wearing jumpers or keeping shirts tied around your waist or shoulders.
- Gradually increase the weight load – this is the basic principle for increasing muscle mass. If you always train with the same load at the same intensity, your body will adapt, thus preventing muscle growth and the improvement of muscle tone.
- Make ‘basic movements’ a priority. Basic exercises that require strength, such as squats, deadlifts, bench presses and others, are good for toning muscles and engage multiple muscle groups simultaneously.
- Enjoy your training. Will power and constant determination is not enough. By having fun as you train, you’ll be able to obtain your desired results more quickly.