Regular physical activity also helps prevent hypertension, avoid being overweight and obesity, and improve mental health, quality of life and well-being. At present, 1 in 4 adults (23%) and as many as 3 adolescents (aged 11-17) out of 4 (81%) worldwide do not meet the WHO global recommendations for physical activity. That is why promoting physical activity is also one of the pillars of the United Nations' 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
What is meant by "physical activity"?
The pillars of the WHO Plan of Action
Mission: To ensure that everyone has access to safe and enabling environments and opportunities to be physically active in their daily lives, as a means to improve public and individual health, to contribute to the social, cultural and economic development of all nations.
Target: A 15% reduction on a global scale in the prevalence of physical inactivity of adults and adolescents by 2030 (and 10% by 2025).
Create active societies
Create active environments
Create active people
Create active systems
Obesity: a global problem
Among the many side effects of sedentary and inactive lifestyles, obesity is certainly one of the most dangerous for people's physical and mental health. The data collected by the WHO in February 2018 speak clearly and are alarming:
- Worldwide, obesity has almost tripled since 1975;
- In 2016, more than 1.9 billion adults over the age of 18 (39% of the total) were overweight. Of these, more than 650 million were obese (13% of the total);
- Most of the world's population lives in countries where overweight and obesity kill more than underweight;
- 41 million children under 5 years of age were overweight or obese by 2016;
- More than 340 million children and adolescents between the ages of 5 and 19 were overweight or obese by 2016.
This is data that should not be underestimated and that can trigger great change, because obesity can be prevented and treated.
The mission of Technogym
Wellness is a social opportunity for all: for governments that can reduce healthcare costs, for companies that can count on more creative and productive collaborators and for all citizens who can improve their health and daily lifestyle.