Exercise bikes are chosen by professional sportsmen or wellness novices, but also by those with joint problems or special conditions such as pregnancy.
Whatever your fitness goals, an exercise bike is the right tool for a cardiovascular workout where everything is under control, provided you choose the right model and the right work out position.
Here is a guide to understand how to use it, how to do the right exercise and what benefits you get from using a stationary bike.
What are the benefits of a stationary exercise bike?
Until recently I used topedal often, obtaining balance, desire and a willingness to do. Margherita Hack
How to train on a stationary bike
How to measure training intensity
Another important parameter is the speed translated into RPM, revolutions per minute. And if we are not the new Nibali? How do we understand if we are doing effective but safe training?
A beginners exercise bike workout
However, for a good level of physical activity, it is ideal to reach 150 minutes per week, trying to be constant for at least 3 months.
How to achieve the correct position on a stationary bike
An incorrect position can cause some problems: for example, too high saddle height leads us to strain with the thigh muscles to follow the rotation of the pedals and this causes muscle overloads and early fatigue, not to mention that pedalling itself is less effective.
Here's how to do it:
- on a bike: climb up the bike and grab the handlebar. Then place the metatarsus (they are between the tarsal bones of the hind and mid-foot and the phalanges of the toes) on the pedals and make sure that one of the lower legs is bent by 5/10 degrees;
- on a reclined bike: find the correct position when, with both feet on the pedal, one of the legs is almost completely flat and forms an angle of 5 / 10 degrees.
- Seat height. Position yourself next to the bike and check that the saddle is at the intersection of the femur and hip. Then sit on the saddle and place the heels on the pedal. Make sure that the foot does not lose contact with the pedal during a complete turn and that when the pedal is at its lowest point, the leg is spread but not completely (approximately 95%).
- Adjusting the handlebar. Optimal adjustment means that it is just as high as the saddle. In the case of newcomers or people with physical problems (back pain, pregnancy), you can opt for a slightly higher height. As a general rule, the handlebar should allow a comfortable position of the arms (not fully extended), a secure grip in different positions, and a consequent general "dynamic" position (at the level of the torso and arms).
- Seat horizontal adjustment. When pushing downwards, while the pedal is at 3 o' clock, we must check that the centre pin of the pedal is in line with the front of the knee.
How to choose the right stationary bike
- Classic vertical bike
- Recline bike
- Bike for Indoor cycling
Classic vertical Bike
Bike for indoor cycling
This type of stationary bike has a mechanical resistance and a particular flywheel: the intensity of the training is changed as the pedal power varies.Used alone or in classes, it is particularly suitable if you want to perform a particularly intense aerobic workout or prepare for a sports competition.