Nerio Alessandri was born in Cesena on April 8th, 1961. After education as an industrial designer, in 1983, at just 22 years of age, he founded Technogym, today’s world leading company offering products and services for Wellness and rehabilitation. The first pieces of gym equipment, designed and built in his own garage, are the result of his enthusiasm for sport, his skills as a designer and his passion for design. In the early 90’s, Alessandri defines the Wellness concept, a lifestyle which aims at improving the quality of life thanks to regular physical activity, a healthy diet and a positive mental attitude. A profoundly Italian concept whose roots are to be found in the ancient Roman saying “mens sana in corpore sano” and which very soon asserts itself on the market as the evolution of the American fitness concept.
Today, Technogym is world leader in the Fitness and Wellness solutions sector and has equipped 65,000 wellness centers and over 200,000 homes around the world. It is estimated that approximately 35 million people use Technogym products every day. The company employs about 2,200 people in 14 branches across Europe, the Unites States, Asia, the Middle East, Australia and South America and exports 90% of what is manufactured to over 100 countries.
In September 2012, in the presence of Italian Chairman Giorgio Napolitano and Bill Clinton, the company celebrated the opening of the Technogym Village, the company’s new headquarters which is home to the center for research and innovation, the manufacturing plant and a large wellness center dedicated to physical activity, interior design and the wellness culture. The complex, which occupies a 150,000 square meter area, of which 60,000 are covered, was designed by Antonio Citterio Patricia Viel & Partners and represents the world’s first example of a Wellness Campus created to enable staff, clients, suppliers and guests from around the world to enjoy an authentic Wellness experience.
The project is an integral part of the “Romagna-Wellness Valley” initiative, promoted by the Wellness Foundation created in 2003 by Nerio Alessandri, whose goal is to create Europe’s first wellness district in Romagna, a living laboratory which will enhance the quality of people’s lives and leverage wellness as an opportunity for economic development for the Romagna territory.
Technogym was chosen as Official Supplier the Olympic Games for 6 times: Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, Turin 2006, Beijing 2008, London 2012 and Rio 2016. In addition to the commitment on the Olympic world, also the most prestigious sport clubs in the world cooperate with Technogym for the athletic training of their champions such as: Milan, Inter, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea in football, Ferrari and McLaren in the Formula 1, Olimpia Basket – Armani Jeans Milan in basket, just to quote some references. Moreover, athletes and champions like Nadal e Marco Belinelli train with Technogym. Technogym was also Official Global Partner of EXPO Milan 2015.
Nerio Alessandri’s professional milestones:
- In 2001 the President of the Italian Republic names Alessandri “Cavaliere del Lavoro” (Knight of the Order of Merit for Labour), making him the youngest-ever holder of this title in the history of the Republic.
- In November 2003 he receives the national award as “Entrepreneur of the Year 2003” following which he represents Italy at the “World Entrepreneur of the Year” contest.
- At the start of 2003 he becomes a shareholder of Enervit, leader in the sports nutrition sector.
- In 2003 Nerio Alessandri establishes the Wellness Foundation, a no-profit entity supporting scientific research, health education and the promotion of a Wellness lifestyle. The Foundation conducts specific projects, both at national and international levels, in the field of health, education and research.
- In March 2004, he is named member of the Board of Directors of the Association of Italian Industrialists (Confindustria); this mandate is renewed in 2008 for the subsequent four years.
- In April 2004 he receives an honorary degree (Laurea Honoris Causa) from the Faculty of Sport Sciences at the University of Urbino.
- In November 2004 the President of the Italian Republic awards Alessandri with the 2004 Leonardo Award for Italian Quality.
- In April 2005 he receives an honorary degree (Laurea ad Honorem) from the Faculty of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Bologna.
- In 2006 he acquires shares in Starpool, a company specializing in the design and construction of saunas and spas.
- In November 2007 the United States Chamber of Commerce names Nerio Alessandri Entrepreneur of the Year in the economics category.
- In 2009 he is appointed Vice President of the Leonardo Committee, entity which sustains and promotes Italian products throughout the world.
- In September 2009 Nerio Alessandri is named “World Heart Champion” by the World Heart Federation, the cardiology association connected with the World Health Organization, for his commitment to promoting Wellness and a healthy lifestyle.
- In January 2010 Nerio Alessandri is a guest at the World Economic Forum in Davos, where he promotes the "Workplace wellness" conference, demonstrating how wellness acts as a strategic tool for competitiveness in business.
- In May 2010 he receives the Guido Carli Award in the category for “Corporate Social Responsibility”.
- In 2010 he receivesADI Design Index Honorable Mention for Technogym Design Center;
- In 2011 the “Gioca Wellness” project (Play Wellness) is included by Michelle Obama in the “Let’s Move for a Better World” program;
- In 2013 he receives the “Stella d’Oro” award from the Italian Olympic Committee, as an acknowledgement for the constant commitment in promoting an innovative and international entrepreneurial culture and in sustaining the Wellness lifestyle.
- In February 2014 he receives the Master Honoris Causa in Business Administration of the CUOA Foundation (Centro Universitario di Organizzazione Aziendale)
- In 2014 he receives Compasso d’Oro Honorable Mention for the design of the ARKE product
- In 2016 Technogym debuts on the Milan Stock Exchange.
- In 2016 he is awarded the “Compasso d’Oro” for the OMNIA product.
Publications: in line with the company’s and his own personal mission, Nerio Alessandri advocates the Wellness culture even through dedicated publications:
- In 2001 the book “Wellness. Scegli di vivere bene” (Wellness. Choose to live Well) is published, an authentic manifesto of the Wellness philosophy.
- In 2007 he contributes to "Wellness – the History and Culture of Living Well" (Sperling & Kupfer), a book which traces the history of Wellness and examines its thematic aspects across 12 original essays written by preeminent Italian academics.
- The same year “A successful Life Begins with Wellness” is published in China. The book, in which Nerio Alessandri and Chinese representatives from the world of culture, business, sport and the performing arts tell of their experience and success thanks to Wellness, is an interpretation of wellness in oriental culture.
- In 2014 he publishes the book “Born to Move” (Baldini & Castoldi), the story of Technogym from the garage to the Wellness Economy.