When it comes to cycling, especially in the case of specialties such as the stopwatch, we are all led to consider elements such as time, rigor, and precision. Let's try to think if to all of this we added the emotional component, if cycling meant going beyond our limits, not only the physical but atmospheric and geographical. All of this can be summed up in a single word: ultracycling.
This cycling speciality could be one of the extreme sports, but above all it represents a different form of cycling where one runs for oneself but above all for the experience and the landscape that the race course offers. What really characterizes this specialty, in fact, is the emotional impact of racing and running becomes almost an adventure.
Compared to the traditional form of cycling the distances are longer, the minimum duration of an ultracycling race is 12 hours but there can also be races of 24 and 48 hours. In ultracycling you compete with road bikes, mountain bikes and hand bikes on both roads and closed circuits and there are different categories:
- Solitaire (it can be with or without a support car): the car, also known as the flagship, has the task of refreshing the athlete and assisting him but also that of dictating the timing of breaks;
- Teams (with support car): are composed of 2 to 8 athletes depending on the mileage of the race. They are relay teams with a free race strategy or there are no minimum or maximum limits to the changes.
Even when I raced in the conventional categories of cycling I was looking for the most kilometres, the most uphill routes, the route that would allow me to almost "get lost" in the meanders of my boundless passion.
What is the ideal type of training for those who are facing extreme challenges?
Technogym Cycling Club on Strava
From the encounter between Strava and MyCycling, the Technogym Cycling Club was created, the first group on Strava dedicated to cycling. MyCycling owners will be able to share their training sessions, which will show the characteristic reference kpi (power, as well as km and duration) and the entire Technogym look and feel.
How to take part in Omar Di Felice's challenges on Strava?
- You must have a Strava account;
- Join the Technogym Cycling Club (the official group can be recognised thanks to the orange check in the profile previews), searching in the "Search Club" area of the app;
- Enter the "events" area of the group;
- Choose the challenge and join it;
- Make sure to post comments about your business in the comments area and share your experiences with other users.
A stroll through Italy: the "Italy Unlimited 3500 km" challenge begins
I wanted something to celebrate Italy, my country, in the year of the hundredth lap of Italy. For this reason I said to myself: "why not try on the same distance as the tour but in no-stop mode?
Advice for the challenge: always head over shoulders and prepare gradually. The extreme must be faced with the right enthusiasm but also with the right conscience.