Why is exercising so important?
Getting proper exercise regularly offers significant benefits to everyone, above all in terms of health. In this article we tell you how.
Did you know that there is an inverse relationship between physical activity and the development of disease?
In fact, by increasing the amount of physical exercise you get, you can reduce the likelihood of the onset of complaints such as high blood pressure, cardiovascular disorders, heart attack, diabetes, tumours.
More specifically, what are the benefits of physical activity?
- For your cardiovascular system → your heart improves its capacity to contract effectively, and in this way blood is circulated with less effort.
It improves the flow of blood through your coronary arteries, that is the arteries that provide a correct supply of nutrients and oxygen to your heart muscle; it also increases the oxygenation of your heart's muscular system.
Regular physical activity permits you to reduce your heart rate even at rest and to reach higher levels of physical exercise. Moreover, it permits you to improve the elasticity of your blood vessels, both arteries and veins, favouring a reduction in arterial pressure;
- for your skeletal muscle system → an increase in your muscular and skeletal mass, of muscle strength and flexibility guarantee prevention of phenomena such as osteoporosis and sarcopenia, and at the same time it tends to increase the resistance of your spinal column and your muscle system as a whole.
Keeping fit also means avoiding falls and the resulting bone fractures, at all ages;
- for your breathing system → your ability to dilate the alveoli in your lungs increases.
This favours your ability to take in oxygen and guarantee that you maintain sufficient respiratory volumes limiting the reduction that occurs as a result of ageing;
- for your metabolism and body composition → physical activity aids reduction of fat mass, increase of lean mass and improves the lean mass/fat mass ratio in favour of the former.
Your energy consumption increases and this is essential for controlling your body weight and ensuring an energy balance between your intake and consumption of calories;
- psycho-social benefits → a good state of health allows you to remain self-sufficient and independent longer so that you can continue to perform the everyday activities of your life.
Joining sports groups also permits you to build up social relations.
Physical activity does not cost much and is a valid remedy for promoting a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being.
Since endorphins are released during physical activity, you can also reduce the risk of depression, anxiety and experience a real feeling of well-being.
- aerobic activity;
- muscle strengthening;
The first stimulates your heart and breathing system and improves your metabolism; it can be practised even by such simple activities as walking (at a pace a little brisker than normal), swimming, riding a bicycle and running.
If you really do not like to go to the gym and you have very little time available, you can opt to buy a home treadmill: Wellness System™ is our professional product which, because of its limited size, is ideal if there is not much space in your home to devote to a wellness area.
In fact, because of its safe folding system, it takes up only one square metre of space and can therefore be folded away after use.
Another feature of this equipment is that it is easy to use: thanks to the CPR system (exclusive to Technogym), it will be your heart that regulates the speed of the treadmill, and guides your personalised training session.
Muscle strengthening exercises help to keep your muscle masses efficient and include activities such as weight lifting, while exercises to improve balance and flexibility, for example muscle stretching, help to reduce the risk of falls and traumas maintaining muscle and tendon flexibility and improving postural stability.
Do you want to know more? Download our Wellness Guide.