London 2012 is coming
Discover how Technogym, the Exclusive Supplier to the Games, designed and equipped the Olympic fitness facilities. For Technogym, an international fitness equipment manufacturer recognized as a leading innovator in athletic preparation, rehabilitation and wellness, London 2012 will represent its fifth Olympic experience after Sydney 2000, Athens 2004, Turin 2006 and Beijing 2008.
In London, Technogym designed and equipped the main gym at the Olympic Village (which is open to all competing athletes) and 19 specific preparation centers for the 28 disciplines located in the respective venues.
For these facilities, Technogym supplied more than 750 pieces of equipment and organized a team of over 100 elite professional trainers to manage the training centers as well as support the athletes and other related services (facility layout, installation and education).
Technogym’s involvement also included the creation of specific solutions for the supply, design and management of each of the 20 gyms.
Within the Athletes Village, Technogym designed an approximately 27,000 square foot gym that satisfies varying Olympic training needs with over 250 pieces of cardio and strength equipment. Alongside the main gym at the Athletes Village, Technogym also created 19 smaller gyms inside the sport-specific venues.
Every facility has a turnkey solution with aesthetics, equipment and software to enhance the training of the athletes and overall Olympic atmosphere. This includes:
- Equipment: All equipment is top of the line to meet the demands of performance athletes. The facilities showcase the latest training trends, from new functional tools to fast set-up features to web-compatible personal entertainment options directly through the VISIOWEB cardio displays. The internet connectivity is especially important and has been highly requested by the athletes in order to stay in touch with their fans and home countries through social networks.
- Space design: Based on requests of various sporting disciplines, Technogym assisted with the layout and interior design.
- Wellness System: A training management software, the Wellness System, is already in use in over 3,000 sport centers worldwide and is consequently already used by many of the athletes represented at this year’s Olympic Games. In turn, each athlete will be provided with a Wellness System compatible Smartkey that contains a personal training schedule to use on the Technogym equipment.
- Gym management staff: Technogym organized a staff of over 100 elite professional trainers from the Technogym international training network who represent 15 different countries and speak over 20 languages.
Technogym's Training Center Solutions for Athletic Preparation
Team sports (basketball, volleyball, soccer, etc.): Athletes today demand equipment that is able to simulate sport-specific motions and coaches that can train multiple athletes at the same time.
Technogym’s specific solution:
- Kinesis: A Technogym patented system based on cables that allow 360° freedom of movement to train strength, flexibility, balance and cardiovascular stamina at the same time.
- Arké: A complete set of functional accessories (water ball, air ball, proprioceptive tools, pendulum, etc.).
Power-based sports (weightlifting, plometrics, etc.): In order to remain competitive and generate the appropriate force and velocity, athletes need to train with heavy workloads.
Technogym's specific solution
- Pure Strength: A plate-loaded strength training line specifically designed for Olympic athletes that allows users to train with a high load through a biomechanically precise and controlled path of motion.
Endurance sports (marathon, long distance or endurance swimming): Athletes need cardio equipment that offers appropriate durability, longevity and comfort. Due to their lengthy training bouts, product design and versatility is critical. Additionally, coaches will want to track the training data of their athletes.
Technogym's specific solution
- Excite+ Cardio Line: A complete cardiovascular line that incorporates 9 distinct products for traditional lower body, upper body conditioning, lateral lower body and self-adaptive training.
- Wellness System: Integrated into the Excite+ equipment, the Wellness System allows athletes and coaches to pull training data directly from the VISIOWEB display via the wireless Smartkey tracking device.