Toning your body isn’t just about doing the right balance of exercises; it’s also about proper nutrition before, during and after a training session.
A process that needs regular effort
Muscle toning and weight loss is a gradual process that requires regular effort. It is important to perform both strength exercises and aerobic exercises using the proper form and technique. If you have been sedentary for a significant part of your life without much exercise, have heart problems or other health conditions, you should consult your doctor before beginning any new exercise programme.
Tips for a toned body
- Nutrition is important. Toning programmes are most effective when you eat a balanced diet as your muscles need fuel. Before training it is recommended to eat something nutritious, yet easily digestible for example - a fruit and a slice of toast with jam will do. If your workout lasts for a few hours, you should have a snack during the session – like fruit or an energy bar. Once you've finished your workout, it is important to eat well to recover lost energy.
- Avoid drinking alcohol before and immediately after training. To be digested, alcohol uses resources that are needed for the body to function well and slows down important mechanisms for sports performance.
- Wear the right clothing and the right trainers. Most minor accidents in the gym occur because of distraction or negligence; if you are running on the treadmill or near mechanical equipment, always check that you have tied your trainers and avoid jumpers or shirts tied around your waist or shoulders.
- Gradually increase the weight load – this is the basic principle for increasing muscle mass. If you always train with the same load at the same intensity, your body adapts and therefore prevents muscle growth and the improvement of muscle tone.
- Make ‘basic movements’ a priority. Basic exercises that require strength such as squats, deadlifts, bench presses and others are good for toning muscles and involve multiple muscle groups simultaneously.
- Enjoy your training. Will power and constant determination is not enough. By having fun as you train, you’ll be able to achieve the desired results more quickly.